Skip to content
In-vitro fertilization (IVF) -Introduction, Procedure and Advantages
In-vitro fertilization (IVF) :-
- In-vitro fertilization is addition of union between egg cells and outside the body in culture vessels.
Introduction of In-vitro fertilization :-
- IVF is involved in collection and combination of gametes under appropriate condition.
- IVF is one type of In-vitro technique such as they take living organisms in test-tube, beakers and petridish.
- The first test-tube baby or IVF baby was born in 1978.
- In India first test-tube was born in same year in 1978 and this second test-tube baby of the world.
- Dr. subhash mukhopadhyay was a physician from Kolkata India, who created world second and India’s first test-tube baby.
- In 2010 sir Edwards was awarded won nobel prize for discovery In-vitro fertilization in physiology.
- In vitro fertilization done for infertility treatment and problem in the fallopian tube of female and low sperm quality of male.
Procedure of In-vitro fertilization :-
- Ovarian stimulation :-
- Leuprolide injection for control premature release eggs one week before.
- Then follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) injection stimulate maturation multiple eggs.
- After a single injection of human chronic gonadotropin (HCG) in last stage of maturation of eggs.
- Eggs retrivel :-
- Eggs are retrivel after 36 hrs of human chronic gonadotropin (HCG) injection.
- Then needle enters in ovarian follicle.
- After we used microscopic technique for identification of eggs.
- Sperm collection :-
- Then sperm collected from the partner.
- Proceed and incubated in protein supplemented media for 3 to 4 hours.
- Fertilization in the laboratory :-
- Sperm placed in culture with a single oocyte in a petridish.
- Signs of fertilization and presence of 2-pronulei.
- Embryo culture :-
- Take embryo culture from the tubes and transfer embryo.
- Embryo transfer :-
- 4 to 7 cell embryo are transferred.
- Cathter is instrument that used in transfer of embryo cells.
- Then embryo released in upper part of uterus.
- Not more then 3 embryo can be transferred.
- Cryopreservation :-
- Preservation in frozen state is regarded as cryopreservation.
- Embryo can be cryo-preserved in presence of glycerol.
- It was stored at -196 celcius under liquid nitrogen.
- And transferred to uterus.
- And this is process of In-vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Fertilization is confirmed before implantation appear.
- Give woman with defected oviducts, the opportunity to carry their own fetus.